Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Morgan 3: Jessie Christensen Morgan, Part I

Jessie Christensen Morgan
b. 13 June 1893 St. Johns, Apache, Arizona
m. 28 March 1914 St. Johns, Apache, Arizona
d. 9 January 1980 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
b. 12 January 1980 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
Husband: Harold Morgan
Father: Marinus Christensen; Mother: Frances Ann Thomas

MEMORIES OF JESSIE CHRISTENSEN MORGAN as dictated to her granddaughter, Jessie Tanner Smith, December 1975.

My Dad was quite a churchgoer and Mother was sick all day just before I was born. She was kind of spunky and she wouldn’t ask Dad to stay home. Dad would come home from one meeting and ask her if she was all right and go back to the next one. She’d say she was all right. Then he came and she told him that he’d better go get Sister Moore quickly. Sister Moore was the midwife. They didn’t have doctors. They never heard of one at that time in St. Johns, Arizona. So he went down to get Sister Moore. Just after he left there came up a big wind storm and it rained while he was gone. The front door and the back door blew open and the wind blew right through the house and it was raining hard. Mother got up to shut the doors and fell on the floor and I was born. When my Dad came I was trying to get my breath from the rain blowing in my face. So I was born on the floor in my Mother and Dad’s home.

Marinus and Frances Christensen.

I can remember my sister, Addie. She was the oldest and she’d comb my hair. I would have it in ringlets all the time and to put it up she’d wrap my hair around the rag and then the rag around the hair. On Sunday morning, why she’d take the rags off and curl them over around her finger and make the curls big. Sometimes she would pull my hair. She would say, “turn your head.” Mother would tell her not to pull my hair. But she still pulled it because she hated to do it, you know.

Adeline Christensen Gibbons.

Elmer was a terrible tease. He was terrible. One day he got a dump cart. A dump cart had two big wheels and was drawn by a horse and they would fill it with manure and dump manure all over the lot. One day Elmer told me to come on and take a ride with him. I told him I didn’t want to but he said I could get down when he got down to fill the cart so I got in. Then he told me to put my arms around his waist and hold tight. I told him I didn’t need to hold so tight but he said I needed to, so I did. He held my hands and drove with the other hand and said, “get-up” to the horses. Those horses were locoed. They would fall down and raise up and fall down again. I’d scream and tell them to get up and they would raise up and fall down. I was scared stiff and Elmer held my hands and wouldn’t let me get down.

Elmer Christensen. (And chickens.)

One day we had to irrigate our lot in St. Johns. Mother had made me some rag dolls. I thought they were so pretty. I had 8 or 10 of them. We had to fill the barrels as we irrigated the lot to wash. Then the water would settle and Mother would have 4 or 5 barrels full of water to wash. I had my dolls sitting along the ground and the irrigation came down and as one barrel got full, Elmer would dunk a doll in it. I’d scream and mother would ask me what on earth I was screaming about and I’d say Elmer was baptizing my dolls. He was so funny. He was the biggest tease on the earth. I don’t remember much about him only that he was the best ball player.

They would always get in the street and play baseball on Sunday after meeting. He was kind of a handsome fellow and he used to run from base to base and his necktie would blow out over his shoulder and I used to think he was so cute.

The Christensen children with their mother, Frances Thomas Christensen. Jessie is standing on the right.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment