Tuesday, July 21, 2009

John Morgan Diary, December 15-18, 1888

December 15

Took train at 1:20 a.m. for LaJara where we arrived at 9 a.m. My team met me there and at 11 I landed back at home [Manassa, Conejos, Colorado]. Found all [Annie Smith Morgan who was six months pregnant, Annie Ray (4), and Myrtle (1)] well. Since I left on the 13th of November I have traveled about 5,000 miles. Held twenty-one public meetings, many private council meetings and visited four stakes of Zion located in Arizona. About 400 miles of our trip was made in wagons and we had a good time.


View Larger Map

December 16

Remained quietly at home during the day. The first Sunday that I have remained away from meeting for a long time. The weather is very fine.

December 17

Assisted in getting the teams ready and starting them across the river to the ditch and followed them during the forenoon on horseback, rode along the ditch two or three miles.

December 18

Wrote a number of letters last night and mailed them this a.m. Called on brother Jno. R. Holt and obtained some money. Paid President Smith $130 and William Christensen $93.60 on account of wagon, and account. Made a door for the cow stable.


Picture of the old Christensen barn in Manassa, Colorado, from http://www.flickr.com/photos/slv_co/422319255/ with accompanying text: "I'm quite certain that this barn in Manassa, Colorado is well over 100 years old. The property was owned by my great grandfather until he passed away in 1974. I didn't think the roof would make it through another winter with the snow we have had, but it is still standing!"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Amy, your research has taught us so much about the man, the place, the times, and how to pull out of the journal what was really happening. I really like the Manassa barn you posted, and hope its still standing when/if I get to visit there.

    ReplyDelete