Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lucy Lucile Green Glade, Part 4

Samuel Francis of Morgan, Utah, was a missionary to England and through this friendship Father used to go to Morgan, Utah. Father was a great outdoors man. Fishing and hunting was a great past time for him.... Many a meal was provided with his success in hunting [and fishing]. Father and the boys used to make their own shells for the shot guns.

Through this friendship he met Eliza Turner and his visits to Morgan became more often. I recall going to Sunday School up there and on one occasion I was not able to go on account of illness. The Sunday School teacher Eliza Turner came over to the Francis home to see me. I was very impressed with the beautiful big hat she was wearing; millinery was her occupation.

Charles Turner Family, Saturday, July 11, 1897. 
Back row: Ann Elizabeth, Sarah Jane, Eliza Christina, William Alfred, George Charles, Mary Jane, Sophie Mary Ann, Janette Martha. 
Center row: Louise Ellen, Mother Annie Bosch, Father Charles, Mother Hannah Ringrose, Hannah Maria. 
Front row: Leah May, Albert Ray, Joseph Hyrum.

Father married again August 8, 1906 to Eliza C. Turner. The day they were married I remember sitting on Father’s lap and he asked what I was going to call her. I responded with “Mother.” The boys were older and I think it was harder for them to have someone else come and take our mother’s place. Two sons and two daughters were born to this marriage. One daughter died at birth [and one child was stillborn]. I am sure she was very courageous to marry a man with a ready-made family of five children. I’m sure it was even more difficult the fact our mother’s family lived just across the street. Grandma and Grandpa Pettit had ten daughters and four sons [and two foster children and one step-child from Edwin's previous marriage to Maria Pettit Bush Pettit].

Will Green, May, Eliza Turner Green, aunt Nettie Connley.

Lucile took a lot of responsibility to work and help out. Saturdays she helped in the kitchen. Eliza baked bread and cakes while Lucile cleaned and kept up the dishes as Eliza used them. Lucile scrubbed the floor and cleaned cupboards and organized the kitchen for Sunday. It seems like Lucile did more of the housework than her sisters. Leone did not do so much work, or helped Hattie (girl from England) and for much of the time that Lucile was growing up, Mildred lived with her grandmother and aunties across the street.

Henry would finish breakfast before the children finished eating and he would go around the table and kiss each one twice, saying, “Two kisses: one for me and one for your mother.” Coming home from work he would always greet his children with a kiss. Henry was such a strong family man. He would say, “It would please me,” and the children would jump to do anything he asked just to please him. Grandpa always wanted the best and his children did not want to disobey him.

If I asked father for a nickel I would always get more than I asked for. I was inclined to be thrifty and would save some. I think I bought more yeast cakes for bread than Mother Eliza bought. Father was a very good provider.

One September when baby Jack was about two years old he opened the oven door and climbed up on it to see what was cooking for dinner. He pulled over a boiling kettle of cabbage onto himself and severely burned his face on one side and arm, neck and shoulder. Lucile was immediately sent to Grandma Pettit’s home across the street to get help. Uncle Will Pettit was home from medical school. When this happened it was a stormy, thunderstorm night. The lights were all out as a result of the storm. They peeled Jack’s little blue romper suit off and with it came his skin, eyelashes and everything. So they took him to the hospital. When he came home from the hospital he looked like a mummy with only his eyes showing. Grandma was expecting baby May in October, so Lucile was assigned a task she remembered for the rest of her life: putting Jack in the buggy and walking for hours to calm him. This lasted for months. Jack had the scar on his neck and arm the rest of his life.

Leone and Lucile Green. Hats by Eliza?

In the summer the family lived at the dairy farm to get out of the city heat. It took a day to get there in horse and buggy. The house was so old probably one of the first built in the valley. Yet Aunt Lizzie and her husband lived there also. Leone wouldn’t go because there were bedbugs so she stayed with Soph and Walt Grass, an uncle and aunt who lived at 913 Second West during the summer.

Every night after work Harry would ride in the street car to 33rd South and State Street. Then someone, often Lucile, would drive over to meet him in the surrey (one horse buggy). I remember of two occasions when I went to pick him up. One time an old plow horse was hitched up. All the way over we zigzagged. I thought I would never get there. Another time a horse that just had a colt was hitched up and it went too fast. I was surely scared. I think both occasions it was devilment on someone’s part.

Once Lucile went with one of the hired hands to the Hamilton Bros. Dairy to get some cream. When she got back and her brother Harry found out that she had ridden with a hired hand, he really let her know that was not the right thing to do.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment