Sunday, January 10, 2016

Missionaries Wearing Fezzes

Several weeks ago a grandson of Joseph Marion Tanner added a picture to FamilySearch showing his grandfather on his mission in Constantinople. I saw the picture when I got my weekly change list from FamilySearch and clicked over to see the changes made to Myron Tanner's entry. (He was one of John Tanner's sons, and Joseph Marion Tanner was his son, and the father of O.C. Tanner and many others.)

F. F. Hintze, Jacob Spori, J. M. Tanner

I spent a few minutes identifying the two other men in the picture, Jacob Spori and Ferdinand Friis Hintze. After I checked that the picture wasn't in other collections, including the Church History Library, I contacted Ted Jones, the Tanner grandson who owns the picture, to request permission to post the picture at Keepapitchinin: The Mormon History Blog. A number of enjoyable discussions ensued at Keepa, on Facebook, and by email between historians and Tanner and Hintze descendants. Here is a link to the post at Keepapitchinin:
Missionaries Wearing Fezzes

1 comment: